Detailed Description of Our Lady, the Queen of Peace as she appears in Medjugorje
Date: November 4, 2004
Over the years people questioned the visionaries of Medjugorje about Our Lady’s appearance, but the most successful inquirer by far was the author, Fr. Janko Bubalo, a Franciscan of the Hercegovinian province. He had followed the events associated with the apparitions from the beginning. For a number of years he heard confessions in Medjugorje and acquired an intimate knowledge of Medjugorje spirituality. One result of his interest is his book A Thousand Encounters with the Blessed Virgin Mary in Medjugorje (1985). It met with worldwide success and received a reward. In this book Vicka, the visionary, in answer to Fr. Bubalo’s questions, gives a detailed account of her encounters with Our Blessed Lady. It is true that Fr. Bubalo had interviews with the other visionaries, but in the end decided to publish only the conversations he had with Vicka, because it seemed to him that she answered his questions in the most comprehensive way. Besides, what the other visionaries had to say did not differ essentially from Vicka’s accounts.
Time has passed and attempts at portraying Our Lady have multiplied. Many of those attempts have been contrary to what the visionaries have said. Fr. Janko, although up in years (born 1913), made another attempt. He sent a survey sheet to the visionaries in which he interrogates them about Our Lady's appearance. Most of the visionaries responded to Fr. Janko's attempt (Ivan Dragievi, Vicka Ivankovi, Marija Pavlovi Lunetti, Ivanka Ivankovi Elez, and Mirjana Dragievi Soldo). They testified to the survey number of their own answers by personal signatures at Humac in 1992. Jakov Olo did not fill out his survey sheet for justifiable reasons, but he agrees with what the others visionaries said and had nothing special to add.
We now present the questions in full and the results of the visionaries' brief answers.
1. As the first thing, tell me: how tall is the Madonna, that you regularly see?
2. Does she look rather "slender", slim or… ?
3. About how many kilograms do you think she weighs?
4. About how old do you think she is?
5. When she is with the Child Jesus does she look older?
6. When Our Lady is with you is she always standing or...
7. On what is she standing?
8. What color is that little cloud?
9. Have you ever seen her kneel?
10. Naturally your Madonna also has her own face. How does it look: round or rather long - oval?
11. What color is her face?
12. What color is her brow?
13. What kind of lips does Our Lady have - rather thick or thin?
14. What color are they'?
15. Does Our Lady have any dimples, as we people usually have?
16. Is there some pleasant smile ordinarily noticeable on her countenance?
17. What is the color of Our Lady's eyes?
18. Are they rather big or ?
19. How are her eye-lashes?
20. What color are her eye-lashes?
21. Are they thinner or ?
22. Of course, Our Lady also has a nose. What is it like: sharp or ?
23. And Our Lady's eyebrows?
24. How is your Madonna dressed?
25. What color is her dress?
26. Is the dress pulled in around the body or does it fall freely.
27. How far down does her dress reach?
28. How far up around the neck?
29. Is a part of Our Lady's neck visible?
30. How far do her sleeves reach'?
31. Is Our Lady's dress hemmed with anything?
32. Is there anything pulled in or tied around Our Lady's waist?
33. On the body of the Madonna that you see, is her femininity noticeable?
34. Is there anything else on Our Lady besides this dress described?
35. What color is that veil?
36. Pure white or ?
37. How much of her does the veil cover?
38. How far down does it reach?
39. How far does it cover in front?
40. Does the veil look firmer, thicker than Our Lady's dress?
41. Is there any kind of jewelry on her?
42. Is it trimmed with anything at the ends?
43. Does Our Lady, have any kind of ornament at all?
44. For example, on her head or around the head?
45. Are there always stars around her head?
46. For example, when she appears with Jesus?
47. How many stars are there?
48. What color are they?
49. Are they in any way connected with each other?
50. Is a little bit of Our Lady's hair visible?
51. Where do you see it?
52. What color is it?
53. Is either of Our Lady's ears ever visible'?
54. How is that?
55. What is Our Lady usually looking at during the apparition?
56. How does Our Lady hold her hands about her?
57. When does she hold her hands folded?
58. Does she ever move, gesture with her hands during the apparitions
59. Which way are her palms turned when her hands are extended?
60. Are her fingernails then also visible?
61. How are they - which color are they?
62. Have you ever seen Our Lady's legs?
63. Finally, is Our Lady really beautiful, as you have said?